Monday, November 30, 2009

first professional commission

I just found an image of the first paid commission I ever did as an illustrator.  It was half-way through my senior year at Kendall College of Art and Design.  Someone had posted a want-Ad for a wedding photo painting as a Christmas gift.  I applied, as did a few others in the 3rd floor studio where the ad was posted.  They liked my work and gave me the job, and the photos to work from.  I chose the one they liked best, did minor tweaking to the composition and color, and made an oil painting!  I think I remember spending about 9 or 10 hours on it.  On the day he came by to pick it up I realized I forgot to take a picture of it for personal portfolio---so I had to use my mom's crappy camera to snapshoot this awful pic:

Upon reflection (although I shouldn't try to study such an awful photo) I think the hands could have been handled better.  There are some confusing elements creating illusions of extra fingers, or super long thumbs.  And the little whites of the nails / rings are a bit distracting.  But not too much...what do you think?

No comments: